Monday, March 22, 2010

Robert Spencer Munson, Jan. 2, 1935 - Mar 12, 2010

What a whirlwind of the last week! (Has it only been a week? I feel as though I've aged much more than that!) On March 12, about 5am, I was awakened by my brother Mark, telling me that our dad had slipped away somewhere around 4:30 am. I was in such shock! I had been planning on going to Boise that weekend to help mom with dad...and here my brother was telling me that dad was gone. I had a hard time grasping the thought. However, once I did grasp it, I turned into action. We all arranged to go to Boise and be there for mom. Me and Julie drove together, and Kay, Karla, and DeEtte went together. I'm so thankful that we all went. We were able to help mom with choosing the burial plots, helping her pick out the casket, and in just finalizing all of the grunt work, that no one wants to do. I also got to help write the obituary that night with my brother-in-law Mike, and then Karla and Darrin proofed it for us, made changes, and we sent it off to the mortuary. The mortuary was wonderful! My sister DeEtte's friend, Dorn Radamacher (sp?), helped us and he was so good to work with. We also got to go into the chapel and see dad on a table. This was so hard for us! To see him, when he had left home that morning. It was pretty difficult for all of us. My mother said a beautiful prayer for us all, there with dad. The spirit was so strong and I felt so close to all of my brothers and sisters. It was a very special moment for us. I think that Friday was the longest day for all of us...beginning so early. On Saturday, I went back home to Sandy, and then on Sunday, went back to Boise with Don. We got to dress dad Sunday night, and that was a very spiritual experience also. On Monday the viewing was held, and on Tuesday the funeral was held. What a fast couple of days...but oh so rewarding and spiritual. I wish I could bottle up the feelings and thoughts that I'd had, and keep it all for a later time.




Don got to help put on his wedding ring.









My father. I don't really like seeing him like this, but he looks pretty good, doesn't he?!?





He got to be buried with the flag, from his 2 years of service in the Army.








Me and my father. I love and miss him so!









Linda, me, and Becky Thomson...a good friend from grade school.







After the viewing...we made it through halfway. The flowers were so pretty!








His vault.








Pallbearers: L-R, Russell Barney, Kay Munson, Bob Zurcher, Mark Munson








Pallbearers: L-R, Don, Jim Solosabal, Darrin Munson, Mike Wood










Army tribute...this was so cool!










The casket with the flowers on top.








After the funeral...we survived.
Mark, Kay, Darrin, Julie, Mom, Kim, DeEtte, Linda, Katie, and Me








Me and my sisters: Me, Katie, Julie, Mom, Kim, DeEtte, and Linda







My brothers: Mark, Kay, Mom, and Darrin





This is my kids at my daughter Amy Rebecca's grave. It is in the same cemetary as my parents. I'm so happy to think that there will be family there. L-R: Brittany, Jake, Josh, Jenny, Rusty, Me, and Don is taking the picture!




I was very lucky, in that Don let me stick around Boise until Wednesday. I had to come home to do payroll, or I probably would have stayed longer! I had the most difficult time prying myself away from my mother's home, and left as late as I dared. I wanted to stay there with her forever. I just love being with her and in her home. I know that my brothers and sisters will take care of her, but it was still difficult to leave and come back to reality. This past week, as I said, has been a whirlwind. It's gone so swiftly and today is Monday again. It's so odd to think that last Monday we were getting ready to be at the Mortuary for the Viewing. My father had a lot of people come through, and it was just like a big party for him. We were able to visit with so many old acquaintences and friends and family.


The feelings and thoughts that I had during this special 4 days are very sacred to me. I hope that I will always be able to remember them, and that my brothers and sisters and I will always stay close, so that we can talk about things together. It was truly a precious time, and one that I will treasure for the rest of my life!


Here's to a man that lived life with gusto! And yet was not flamboyant about the way that he did things. He loved all, and we found out that he was loved by all. He shared much that we didn't know about, and he left quite a legacy for us to follow. He's got some pretty big footsteps to fill...and I hope that I will be up to the task. He loved life, and he lived life with the center focused on the Savior, and his church, and his family. What a wonderful example he is for me to follow. Love you dad!!!

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a beautiful write up of your father and your wonderful mom and family! So sorry to hear of his passing. xoxox's to you. I love you!

Barney Blah...g said...

Nice Jeanie, thanks!

Mike, Haley, and Emma said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures and thoughts! You are always so amazing! Miss you...

Penny said...

RaeJean - So sorry to hear about your dad. There is just something about losing a parent that brings you to your knees in a prayer for peace. Parents are just two things that can not be replaced so losing one is very difficult. Thank heavens for the knowledge of the gospel. You are a great person with such a great outlook on life.